It’s been awhile since I’ve blogged. Like most of America, I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole and came back up to find the world not as I left it and I’m still trying to recover post-election. Unfortunately, that spilled into all aspects of my personal life and reading, blogging and writing fell by the wayside.
I didn’t read very much this month. I’m suffering from a strange book slump where I can buy books like a crazy person but I can’t bring myself to pick any of them up and read it.
I dropped out of NaNoWriMo, and I’m okay with it. Instead I’m putting my finishing touches on last year’s WriMo now, and I’m hoping to have friends beta read by January.
I haven’t posted in the past few weeks so I wanted to take the time in an effort to turn everything around to name the top five bookish things I’m thankful for.
- I’m thankful that books broaden our horizons and teach us empathy. There is this quote that I really love it says: “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” George R.R. Martin. I’m grateful that I have an inkling into a vast and diverse amount of perspectives because I read. I have been the hero/heroine that saves the day. I have been the ordinary girl who gets the guy. I’ve been the villain that takes down an empire. I have been a creature of the night and the boy who lived. I have known love and loss, adventure and fear, bravery and courage all through a multitude of 26-letter combinations. I know what it is to be other because I have lived that life even for a short amount of time. Because of this, I have more compassion for those that are different from me and it’s my life goal to continue to grow that compassion to a bottomless well.
- I’m thankful for reading buddies.
Whether it’s my cat Mia in her constant struggle to lay on top of my books or a piping hot cup of tea or coffee. There is no better feeling than sitting all cozy, with a hot drink, a fuzzy creature and a book full of vibrant characters.
- I’m thankful for the Amazon Gods. I know, I know. Amazon is killing brick and mortar bookstores and I’m a horrible person for supporting it, but I’m super grateful that Amazon understands my book obsession and delivers great reads to my doorstep within 48 hours. Each day I come home to a package on my doorstep, it’s like Christmas. (Not to mention I get to sing the “Here’s the mail, it never fails” Blue’s Clues song. #nevergrowup)
- I’m thankful for brave writers. As someone who aspires to write my own novel, it blows my mind how all these authors pour their heart and soul into a story and then release it out into the world. If it wasn’t for their bravery, ambition and self-confidence, I wouldn’t get to read the amazing stories that have had such an impact in my life. There’s another quote that keeps me writing when I want to give up. It says: You’re going to be someone’s favorite author. Just imagine if your favorite author never wrote a single word. Your life would be less vibrant because of it.
- I’m thankful for YOU – bloggers, readers and friends. I’m eternally grateful to anyone who reads my blog. I’m also grateful for all the bloggers out there recommending good reads. What would I do without you? I can’t tell you how many authors and books I’ve been exposed to (or got a really good deal on) because my fellow bloggers have kept me in the know. It’s always great to fangirl with fellow readers and geek out about books.