Last year, my New Year’s resolution was to start a book review blog. It’s been a whole year, and it’s my 1st blogoversay!. (I can’t believe I actually did it!) In celebration of this occasion, I’m going to set new book-related goals for 2013.
1. Read more. I read almost every day but I still don’t feel like I get to read everything I want. I’m hoping to spend more time reading and less time with boring life responsibilities, like laundry. I could definitely give up laundry for the rest of my life.
2. Buy more books. Now, I know what you’re thinking. From the resolutions I’ve read from other blogs, most people want to STOP buying books and read the ones they already have. I utilize my public library, so I borrow A LOT. However, it forces me to only read the books that are available to me and less that I really want to read. Therefore, I’m going to buy more books, the books I really want to read.
3. Get more into the blog community. Initially, I was so busy trying to produce content for my blog; I rarely got time to read other blogs. I only get a chance to read the ones that send me email updates. I want to be more active in the blog community, get my name out there and comment more in 2013.
4. Stick to a schedule. For the past year, I’ve posted an average of twice a week (with a few holes where nothing was published for awhile, Ooops!). I want to keep that same number, (I’m working full time AND trying to get my masters.) but I need to figure out a way to post regularly without worrying about not having a book review ready. Because of this fear, I have a bunch of reviews just sitting as drafts waiting to be posted. Most of the time I forget about them and they never get posted. With a schedule, I won’t have to worry as much and just enjoy reading.
5. Worry less about my blog. I am so passionate about reading. Anyone who knows me can vouch for the crazy book-induced gleam in my eyes. I created this blog to share my love of books with the world. However, I constantly compare myself to other blogs, who post more, get ARCs, get author interviews etc. I cannot even begin to fathom what it takes to accomplish all that. Kudos to them! I just want to read what I want without (self-induced) pressure to conform or that discouraging feeling I get when I don’t feel worthy or adequate to have a voice in the blogging community.
6. Start rating books. When I started this blog, I did not want to rate books. I felt like people would only look at the star rating and gloss over the writing without finding out why I liked/disliked the book. I wanted to highlight the writing so I initially left the rating out. However, I post a majority of my reviews on Goodreads which “requires” a star rating anyway, so I might as well include it in my blog. That way, when I say I enjoyed a book, readers will know just how much I enjoyed it if it earns five stars.
That’s all I have for now. Here’s hoping I can stick to these goals for the next year! I’m super excited about all the amazing books I’ll get to read in 2013, and thank you to everyone who follows/reads my blog; it truly means the world to me. 🙂